blessing of the animals service august 30, 2009

In the beginning, when God was creating the heavens and the earth, when the earth was a formless void and darkness covered the face of the deep, while a wind from God swept over the face of the waters…In the beginning, when God was creating, before God created humans, God created living creatures. “Let the waters bring forth swarms of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the dome of the sky.” And then, “Let the earth bring forth living creatures of every kind.” And it was so.

Before the first human, the living creatures set the stage. God knew, I believe, that we would need them. And that animals could teach humans something about living. Something about God. Something about, well, being human.

This is Buster. Some of you have already met him. Buster is 15 years old. His eyes are cloudy with cataracts. His ears don’t let much sound in anymore, if any sound at all. His hips ache, and I need to carry him up the stairs to bed each evening. He can’t do very much anymore, but he loves very, very well. Buster is here in Osage to keep me company. And he does this with skill and ease.

I remember one day, at least ten years ago, probably a few more. I was having a bad day. A terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day, as the storybook title reads. I don’t even remember why. I just remember sitting on the bottom step of the house, crying, miserable, feeling alone. I didn’t want to see anyone, didn’t want someone to try to cheer me up, didn’t believe that anyone could help me feel better, or that anyone even really cared. I remember that I tried praying. It helped. But God still felt awfully far away. I pulled my knees up to my chest, put my head down on my arms, and cried. Suddenly, a wet, cold nose pushed its way through my crossed arms. A rough wet tongue found my cheek. The smell of dog breath filled my face—distraction. At first I tried to push him away. But, Buster licked and licked. He wouldn’t stop until it was dog slobber rather than tears wetting my face. He wagged his tail and looked up at me and nosed my hand and offered presence. Comfort. Companionship. After not too long, I was laughing. How can you not after minutes of solid tongue on cheek?

It was simple. Elemental. Buster doing what Buster knows to do. Show up, especially when someone is sad, or in need. Stay there, through the tears, in the silence. Reach out. Connect.

Before the first human, the living creatures set the stage. God knew, I believe, that we would need them. That animals could teach humans something about living. Something about God, and God’s care. Something about, well, being human.
Content merely to be in the presence of those you love, and who show your love in return. Paring down to the basics—food, time outside, activity, walks, play. Never ceasing to be amazed at the wonders of surrounding creation, even when it’s the same tree you’ve seen every day of your life. In need of tender care, and willing to offer it.

And God said, “Let the waters bring forth swarms of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the dome of the sky.” God blessed them, and saw that it was good. And God said, “Let the earth bring forth living creatures of every kind: cattle and creeping things and wild animals of the earth of every kind.” And it was so. And God saw that it was good. Thanks be to God. Amen, and amen.

No comments: